Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

3 Things... That Make me Glad It is Exam Week

You probably haven't started to see the pattern yet. (I'm not sure two posts in a theme are precisely what you would call a 'pattern'.) However I have decided to make a post... whatever you call it when multiple posts follow the same structure... a series/theme? These are my 'Three things' posts - you can see the first of its kind here.

It is one thing to decide to make the posts follow the same structure but what does that really thing? After all it isn't an entirely unique concept to make lists of 3 items - which is a lot of what these posts are. These posts are my positivity posts. I have to say positive things. Being positive or optimistic is not a strength for me so I figure I need some practice.


Today's post is 3 reasons why I am glad it is study/exam week. Exams is a stressful time and it becomes very easy to lose sight of why or how that could ever be a good thing. This post is bigger than simply this blog and is about getting my head back into gear before I start a long night of thesis and a long week of exam study. Proving to myself (and maybe you too) that exams is good for you.

1. The End of Work. Now this has got to be the biggest benefit to an exam week. It is only a week or two and then you know what? It is done. Better, you probably have at least 2 or 3 weeks off afterwards. In the case of summer that is going to be more like 2 or 3 months. Your brain gets to relax, take a breather, and generally enjoy the fact that for the next little while your most challenging study is likely to be 'in work hours only' if you have a job or 'because I want to know this' if you have the luxury of holidays. 

2. Guilt-free romance novels. This one is more specific to me, not everybody would think in terms of romance novels as a reward to yourself. I read a lot of romance novels, some days I will, almost without thinking, rip through 3 or 4 of them. I'm still known to do that during the academic semester but nothing is more awesome than not having to feel bad for reading them. If at any point in the last month I have read a romance novel that has meant getting behind on my school work or on my thesis. I want exams to be done so I can read a couple and not feel in the slightest bit guilty for doing so.

3. Proof I've Learnt Something. Now I don't know about you but sometimes I sit in class thinking that nothing is sinking in. Exams are a great solution for that. They are challenging, and yet you and generally 80-90% of the course manage to pass them. If that isn't proof you've learnt something I don't know what else could be. I like sitting down in an exam I've been stressing about for 2 or 3 days and looking at the paper and having that 'I can totally do that question' moment. Sometimes against the odds, but I always come out of a course with something. What do you know - university has a purpose.

Bonus: It means my degree is over! This has got to be the best part about getting through this latest exam period. At the end of it I will be done, really done. Anybody can survive 3 exams and a thesis for the sake of having an engineering qualification in its completeness to their name. There is one hell of a party to be had a week or so from now. 

Come join my optimism bandwagon? What are three things that makes you glad that it this week (exam week if that is where you are in your studies like me)?

No comments:

Post a Comment