Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Freedom To-Do List

I was talking with one of my friends the other day about the prospect of 3 weeks off. Well, to be honest it is a conversation I've had with many of my friends. Always the same thing though, "When I go home I am not going to know what to do with myself."  However this particular friend was quick off the mark with his solution. It wasn't a difficult proposition. It was at all directed or specific. It was simply "Make a list of things you want to do. And do them."

Yes I know, not exactly a revolutionary concept. List writers have been writing lists for as long as they have been competent to write. Even I have written my share of to-do lists. However a 'middle man' list - something between a 'must get this done' list and a 'before I die in an ideal world' list - I have never thought to bother with.

Now I think I'm going to bother with it. I have 2 weeks at home - my family home. My hometown is every bit as dull and uneventful as yours probably is. So I figure why not have some things I want to do in that time?



1. Read Pride and Prejudice. I always read on my breaks. I don't often read novels that would be welcomely discussed in polite company... then again people discuss 50 Shades of Grey so why the hell not? Pride and Prejudice is the next book to justify my romance fiction reading tendencies. The other week I read Jane Eyre for the first time.

2. Read Starship Troopers. This is the last 'read' list item I promise. I have a friend who recommended this to me. Over a year ago. He is one of my uni friends so after this year we'll likely never cross paths again - so I figure I should probably read it now. Or I'll never do it.

3. Climb Mt Tibrogargan. For anybody that doesn't not it - it isn't much of a mountain - not by international standards or anything. It is, however, a pretty good 2-3 hrs up hill mountain. I've never made it to the top before - because it has some free style rock climbing going on about halfway up. But I want to try it again.

4. Re-learn my piano songs. I used to play piano. I don't have a lot of talent for it, or patience, but I did used to play and do lessons. Consequently I did used to have a number of songs I could play by heart. I can't do that anymore. I wouldn't mind getting the old keyboard out, it's around here somewhere, and relearning some of them.



5. Do a Santa Fun Run. This one sounds really specific, and really random. It is actually just do a fun run. However, I've googled it and could find 1 fun run in SE QLD in the next 2 weeks. A Santa Fun Run on Sunday Morning. Clause for a Cause - so many puns. Literally - you dress up as Santa. And run. I want in.

6. Different Make-up Every Day. Have you seen my make-up collection? Probably not... It is shamefully large. I am a horrible hoarder. Now however, when I don't have any work to look respectable for, is the perfect time to try it out and use all the bits that I don't often use. No repeat looks (there can be repeat products - I only own about 4 mascaras).

7. Exercise. A non-specific one. I just have to exercise on a daily basis. My best friend, who conveniently has the same two weeks off is hardcore fitness/health at the moment so this one won't be hard. I wouldn't mind losing a kg or two before my Europe holiday - because guarentee I put it back on then - that's life.

8. Go to the beach. I don't usually live as close to the coast as I am at the moment. Should definitely make the most of this (and my new swimmers) and make an effort to go for a swim in the sun.

9. Sew my rows in my quilt.  I am not much of a quilter. However I have a work in progress that I work on when I come home. At the moment it is all squares. Next up - sew the rows!

10. Catch up with friends. I haven't lived at home in 5 years. So along with that I don't have all the friends I once did around this town, but I still have a couple. Time to make the effort and catch up with them. Go for coffee, play some Singstar, bake some cookies... Just do something to see them. So that I don't end up with no friends. It is good practice for keeping up with my uni friends post university as well.

Not the most exciting of lists I know, but you know what? That's because it is realistic. However there still looks like a fair bit of empty time in it. I will have to investigate uses for that time... There may be some up dates / additions to the list in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment